Carpentry: Barn Door

The exterior doors of this lake house are made up of 2×6 tongue and groove boards bolted together. I was able to recreate the look with custom-ordered lumber to craft this sliding barn door for the master bedroom.

The hardware was custom ordered, hand made from a source in Utah.

 

 

Flooring: Floor warming

Half of this extended kitchen sat over unheated crawl space, so I needed a solution to keep the new tile floor as warm as the half that sat over heated basement. Electric mats were the perfect solution as they were thermostatically adjustable and had minimal impact on floor height.

Signage: Custom street sign, and more

The lane had only 3 homes on it. There was no signage as it was a private lane, and the mailboxes weren’t in numerical order. So, I designed and built this all-inclusive sign post to identify the lane and incorporate each resident’s mailbox.

Carpentry: Walkway, hot tub and tiered deck

Rarely did guests arrive by the front door, so an attractive backyard entrance was important. It started with a bluestone walkway which lead to a mahogany deck, tiered to accommodate a built-in hot tub, grill area, and a large octagonal dining area, all  cascading down to the lawn without the need for confining railings.

Stonework: Veneer stone wall

After clearing some overgrowth, I found a wall—unfortunately it was cement block—so I covered it with a combination of manufactured and natural stone, for a more elegant look.

Cabinetry: Spice storage and message center

This cabinet combined a message center which included a magnetic surface with a chalkboard finish. The spice storage was a perfect fit for the wall adjacent the cooking prep area. Additionally, it had a display area for collectibles.

Cabinetry: Refaced and new

These were perfectly good cabinets, just a bit outdated, so I veneered them, replaced the doors in solid cherry, and added new hardware.

Fireplace: Marble Veneer

One of my first “big projects”—I found a rare remnant of marble that was no longer being mined, and had just enough to cover the original brick facade. It was a challenging install (talk about losing your religion), however it turned out great.